An Incomplete List of Reasons Why I Need Feminism
- In middle school I was teased for hair growing on the back of my toes. I was then teased for shaving it. I was also teased for having a mustache.
- In high school I was teased for having a happy trail.
- In my first few years of college I was told by a “concerned friend” that I might have some kind of chemical imbalance/cancer/disease because of my body hair.
- Menstrual cups have been around commercially since 1987 but I only learned about them and started using one in 2013. Since then my cycles haven’t been debilitating and I’m a lot more confident and happy during them.
- A few weeks ago my mom told me: “Men are just better at driving manual transmissions.”
- For all the progress recently made, there is still huge gender inequality in STEM fields and I’m endlessly concerned with whether I’ll be judged on the merit of my work or my gender.
- Because I cannot enjoy my hobbies in a public space without the fear of being judged or harassed.
- Because it was amazing that I, a woman, knew about and understood what an augmented reality game was.
- Because being accepted by male acquaintances means I am “one of the guys.”